We started this project in September 2015 and brought it to a "hopeful"
conclusion in May 2016.
The original configuration had an 8x8 foot hottub built into the deck along
with 6 foot high privacy paneling on three sides of the deck. The tub
took up a lot of the space on the deck and the tall panels made the area
extremely hot in the summertime.
Since we rarely used the hottub and it's an expense to keep it functional,
we decided to get rid of the tub and put open rails around the deck perimeter. The
tub went to a friend and another friend/carpenter and I went to work replacing
rotting decking and putting in the new rails. The pictures tell the
rest of the story.